Soy-Free Tempeh Starter
Versatile Starter Culture to Make your own protein and nutrient Tempeh with any combination of Whole Pulses, Millets and Seeds.
Contains 5 packets of starter. Makes 5 large batches of Soy- Free Tempeh.
- Soak the beans in adequate water for 10-12 hrs.
- Massage the beans till they split and the hull starts to float in the water.
- Carefully rinse and drain off the hull that is floating with the help of a sieve or colander.
- Boil the de-hulled in adequate water for an hour and discard the water.
- Lay the beans on a towel and leave it to dry. You can also leave it under the fan or blow-dry them with a hair dryer. Make sure that the beans are dry before you proceed.
- Leave the beans in a bowl till it reaches room temperature.
- Add 2 tbsp vinegar and mix well.
- Now add One packet of Tempeh Starter and mix well.
- Take a small plastic zip pouch and spread the beans to form 1 inch thick layer and close the zip pouch. You could also cover it in a banana leaf. Make a few holes with a toothpick and leave it to culture.
1 Packet Makes – 500g Tempeh,
Preparation Time: 30 mins,
Fermentation time: 48 – 72 Hrs
- 1 Packet-Tempeh Starter Culture
- 500 g Beans/Pulses of your choice
- Stainless Steel looking Pot
- Thick Towel or Napkin
- Bowl with Sieve
- 2 tbsp White Vinegar
- Transparent Plastic Zip Pouch or Banana leaf