San Francisco Sourdough Starter
The traditional Sourdough starter to get you fermenting. Make delicious loaves of bread, pizza-base, biscuits, buns and waffles with flour.
One pack is all you need. Use it for a variety of flour-based baked foods.
- Take a clean glass jar. Add 1 tbsp flour and 1 tbsp water and stir well. Add the packet of starter culture and stir well again. Cover the jar with a cloth or a filter paper, sealed with a rubber band and leave it to culture for 12 hrs.
- Feed the starter: After 12- 18 hrs, add 2 tbsp of Flour and 2 tbsp of water. Stir Well till it reaches a batter like consistency. Cover the jar again and leave it to culture.
- Feed the starter: After 12-24 hrs, feed the starter again, this time with 75g of flour with 75ml water. Stir well, cover the jar and leave it to culture. (You may add more water if it’s too thick.)
- Feed the Starter: After 12-24 hrs, feed the starter again, this time with 150 g of flour and 150ml water. Stir Well. Repeat the process.
- Every 12-24 hrs, discard half of your starter and feed with same quantities of flour and water till your culture starts bubbling and rising to almost 2 times.
- Float Test: Take a little starter and drop it in a bowl of water. If the starter floats, it is ready to bake, if it doesn’t; it requires further feeding. Keep repeating the feeding till your starter floats.
Fermentation time: 3-7 days.
- 1 Packet – Starter Culture
- 1 kg- Refined White Flour
- Chlorine Free Water
- 1 litre – Glass Jar
- Wooden or Stainless Steel Spoon
- Rubber Band
- Coffee Filter or Thick Weave Cloth