Kefir Starter Culture
Kefir is a natural probiotic powerhouse that makes fresh and tasty beverages. An easy way to add a home-made healthy dose of probiotics to everyday foods like beverages and smoothies. It’s a direct-set culture that can be re-used many times. A great start to those making Kefir for the first time and don’t want to maintain the grains.
Direct Set Starter Culture, Contains 5 packets of Starter Culture. 2-10 litres per batch. Each batch can be re-used up to 5 times.
- Take 1 Litre Milk at room temperature in a glass jar.
- Add 1 packet of starter culture to the milk and stir until the culture dissolves in the milk with a wooden/plastic spoon/spatula.
- Cover the jar with a thick cloth and tie it well with a rubber band.
- Culture in temperatures between 20 – 29 degrees for 8 – 18 hours till it sets.
(The Milk will set and start leaving the side of the vessel. The Coconut milk will start forming a thicker curd-like consistency.)
- Cover the jar with a lid and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Your Kefir is ready to consume. You can store it up to a week in the fridge.
- Keep aside 3 tbsp for re-culturing.
- Cultures to Love – Kefir Starter Culture (Refrigerate the extra packets)
- 1 litre – Organic Pasteurised Milk or Coconut Milk (Avoid Tetra-Pack Milk)
- 1 litre – Glass Jar
- Rubber Band
- Filter Paper or thick tight weave cloth
- Plastic/Wooden Spoon to stir